Search engine optimization is to blogs what salt is to food: An enhancer that makes things better. Here are some SEO tips bloggers can use to rank higher in organic search rankings, thus making your blogs and websites better. After all, traffic is the name of the game. Traffic is improved when you are positioned high in the search engine results page rankings (SERPs). How would your life change if you could double the amount of organic search traffic in a year?
What is SEO?
SEO, or search engine optimization, is a series of strategies and tactics to make your website/blog more search engine-friendly … that is to get it to rank higher. SEOAuditGuide.com offers a comprehensive list of courses that go deeper into this field than this short piece on SEO tips, but if you follow the fundamentals we describe here, your website will rank higher over time.
SEO is all about ranking higher in order to reach more people. Neil Patel says jokingly if you want to hide a dead body, the best place is on Page 2 of Google’s search results because no one will find it. While he is joking, there is a lot of truth in it. There are studies that show click-through rates decline rapidly after the first three or four positions on Page 1 of SERPs.
How can you rank higher? By implementing SEO strategies that will enhance the technical aspects of your website and the underlying structure of your blog posts.
Technical SEO Tips
Back in the day, bloggers had to hard code their blog posts using HTML: Hyper-Text Markup Language. Today, there are a variety of site builders and content management systems from which to choose. These tools make it easier to develop and maintain blogs, and the most popular one is WordPress. Many of its themes, especially those built upon the Genesis Framework, are SEO-friendly.
- Make sure your page loads quickly. The slower your load speed is, the more visitors you will lose. Google’s Page Speed Insights can give you an idea of what it will take to speed up your load times, if it is an issue.
- Reduce the size of your images. With every new camera, whether on a smartphone or a digital camera (DLSR or point-and-shoot), what is the one thing they always boast? Right, megapixels. Photos are taking up more and more space. These will take forever to load. Couple of things to consider: Manually resize your photos before uploading and then install a photo optimizing plugin, like WP Smush or Compress Images.
Blog Post SEO Tips
Providing good, quality content that is relevant and useful is important, but it is not enough. Google uses AI to determine what is important on every webpage it indexes. This takes into account the frequency of words used in relation to the overall length of the piece. The more frequently a word or phrase appears, then the more important it is to the page. This is how Google determines keywords.
- When writing a blog post, always write for a specific keyword or keywords. For example, the keywords for this post is SEO Tips. You will notice it is used in the page title, the page header, within the first 50 words of this blog post, and in subheaders.
- Keep your page titles short, no more than 55 characters.
- Use meta descriptions. These are short descriptions of your page (keep them to no more than 140 characters) that appear in search results. If you do not create a meta description, Google will use the first words in your post, but you will have no control over where it ends. Google will truncate it.
- Using an SEO plugin, like Yoast SEO, will help you craft SEO titles and meta descriptions that will improve your search rankings.
- Google likes longer word counts. There is no consensus of the optimal length, but please write more than 500 words.
- Use bulleted lists or numbered lists and subheaders. These make the content easier to consume, and it signals to Google’s search engine bots the page is well-organized and structured. As a result, it is deemed a better page and will rank higher.
Put These SEO Tips into Practice Today
So, I asked previously how would your life change if you could double the amount of organic search traffic in a year? Would you be able to sell more products? Generate more ad revenue? Sell more books? subscriptions? memberships? Claudia Pennington worked with a blogger and, together, they were able to implement a number of SEO strategies that resulted in twice the amount of organic search traffic in a 12-month span.
Are you beginning to see ways SEO can help improve your website and your revenue? This is just the tip of the iceberg. You can dive deeper into SEO to discover more advanced strategies and tactics to boost your bottom line.
Originally posted 2018-09-17 07:28:29.